Can you really save on the supermarket purchase? Although it seems to you that it is a myth: yes, it can. It is not an urban legend. However, it will be necessary to use it thoroughly and not spare any effort and time to plan and reflect. But remember that every effort has its reward.
Why should you save on home purchase?
It says a lot about our culture that we repeat that little mantra that reads more or less like this: «in the things of eating we should not spare expenses». We relate a greater expense in food with the fact that it is healthy and of quality. Eating healthy foods is not linked to making them more expensive; Moreover, the cheapest products are usually the least processed and seasonal, which in the end are the healthiest.
Taking care of the expenses when buying in the supermarket will favor the monthly saving of the family, since the expenditure on food is essential and one of the most important. The idea is to establish financial habits and, incidentally, responsible consumption to guide you towards financial freedom.
Tricks to achieve savings
- Always take a shopping list to the supermarket. The method of the list is fundamental. If you arrive at the supermarket without a plan, you will end up wandering around the supermarket filling the cart with food and products that you really do not need. To avoid it, plan the purchase very well and make a list as detailed as possible. This has to go hand in hand with the weekly or monthly menu planning. You will only need some time to establish it and in addition to ensuring savings, you can take advantage to promote family health based on a healthy and balanced diet (which will also have an impact on saving health costs). You can try some supermarket websites that allow you to make lists online, with the incentive to complete the purchase process from the comfort of your home and receive the order without having to
move (saving squared).
- Acquire white or generic marks. Betting on white marks always has a prize. There are studies that establish that the savings can range between 35 and 45% of the purchase. It is not necessary to choose all generic brand products, but you do think well about which brands are really adding value.
- Use comparators or lists of cheaper supermarkets. Do you know which is the supermarket with the lowest prices for each area ? It is essential to compare to know which establishment offers the best offers. Although you must also take into account the expense you incur if you must travel a lot to make the purchase. It is important to look at those establishments specialized in products that may be cheaper than in other stores. In general, it will be cheaper to buy fresh and seasonal (and bulk) products at the municipal supply market closest to your home; and groceries in a supermarket that allows you to enjoy special offers and discounts of the 3 × 2 type. The Online comparators can be great allies to study the price differences of the same product in different supermarkets. Soysuper or Carritus are some examples.
- Set a limit on the expense of the weekly or monthly purchase. Based on the family budget, you can set a spending limit or a fixed item for the supermarket. In this way, you will better optimize the purchase.
- Take advantage of loyalty card discounts. Many establishments have discount coupons for regular customers. It is a good idea to acquire these types of cards and be aware of promotions and advantages at all times. In addition, if you have the possibility to store at home, you can always take advantage of offers for non-perishable products.
- Consume seasonal and local products. In addition to saving this type of responsible consumption habit, it contributes to the sustainability of the economy, the care of the environment and, in general, that of the whole community.
- Join a consumer group. This point is closely linked with the previous one. Consumer groups are groups of people who come together to collectively acquire products they consume but do not produce. The deal is made directly with the producer, which allows setting delivery dates. In general, these groups are linked to food products, but little by little they begin to form groups to meet other needs such as personal hygiene, cleaning or clothing.
How does it help your family economy to reduce spending on purchases?
Reducing the cost of the supermarket, being one of the bulkiest expenses of the family budget, will affect sanitation and optimize our economy. Remember that you must work this strategy from the framework of creating the family budget.
The savings that occur when reducing the expense in the weekly or monthly purchase can be used for other expenses or for that financial cushion that always comes in handy for contingencies.